Coin dealers are pretty easy to find. A Google search returns thousands of them. Hundreds can be found on ebay on any given day. But if you are serious about collecting coins, and see your collection as a sort of investment, you should take some care in which coin dealers you do business with. Here are some tips to help you choose wisely:
Are They a Member of the PNG? - The PNG (Professional Numismatists Guild) is an association of coin dealers who have met a number of strict standards in order to join. Some of these standards include:
- PNG Coin Dealers must have at least 5 years of numismatic experience
- PNG Coin Dealers must demonstrate numismatic assets in excess of $175,000
- PNG Coin Dealers must be elected to the Guild by a majority of the membership
- PNG Coin Dealers must honor the Coin Collectors' Bill of Rights
- PNG Coin Dealers agree to submit to binding arbitration to resolve disputes
There are several other requirements to become a PNG coin dealer, including such things as promising to pay fair prices to folks who sell their items, promptly delivering coins which have been paid for, and other things you'd expect of an honest dealer. However, the five items listed above make an excellent starting point for evaluating any potential coin dealer.
Find a Local PNG Dealer Now - The PNG has an online coin dealer directory where you can search for coin dealers using various criteria.