1. Home
James Bucki

2013 Girl Scouts USA Centennial Silver Dollar

By February 27, 2013

2013 Girl Scouts USA Centennial Silver Dollar At 12 noon on Thursday, February 28 the United States mint will begin selling the 2013 Girl Scouts Centennial silver dollars. The silver dollars will be available in both uncirculated and proof issues. The uncirculated issue will sell for $50.95 and the proof issue will sell for $54.95 (plus $4.95 shipping and handling per order). These commemorative coins are struck on special coining presses that use greater pressure than the presses that produce regular circulating coins in order to produce sharp and more intricately detailed images. The obverse of the coin features three Girl Scouts that reflect both the historical and contemporary aspects of girl Scouting in the United States. The inscriptions include COURAGE, CONFIDENCE and CHARACTER, key elements of the Girl Scouts mission statement. The reverse design depicts the iconic "Profiles of Girl Scouts of the USA" with inscriptions that state UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, E PLURIBUS UNUM, $1 and GIRL SCOUTS. Click on the image above for a larger more detailed picture.

Quick Links:

Images Courtesy of: The United States Mint, www.usmint.gov

Comments

March 7, 2013 at 11:04 am
(1) richard schulte says:

Holy crap, I was thinking about getting this new scout dollar for my Grand daughter $ 50.00 a little much.

Great profit margin. Lets see now $7.00 worth of Silver and another $1.00 to stamp it out thats a total of $8.00.

Pretty good business to be in don’t you think ?

March 7, 2013 at 2:26 pm
(2) Mark says:

I wanted a few to use as gifts. I also passed, due to the high price. If I find need a few, I will get them on the secondary market.

March 7, 2013 at 10:23 pm
(3) Richard says:

Now I see how they government makes a lot of money. I can see a small profit, this is far too much

March 7, 2013 at 11:42 pm
(4) Jerry Diekmann says:

Not only is this coin overpriced to the extreme, but it is profoundly ugly. One day it may make money for some collectors, but it will be because very few people bought this coin. The Mint has now gone from a high profitmaker to a gouger. I won’t buy this coin ever. Why isn’t there a boy on this coin if was politically correct to put a girl on the Boy Scouts coin? Like everything else in Washington, DC, the government and the Mint lives in its own very warped reality. There have been several ugly coins since commems began again in 1982, but this has to be one of the very ugliest renditions of girls I have ever seen.

March 8, 2013 at 7:26 am
(5) Jerry says:

Price is tooooooo HIgh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 8, 2013 at 11:44 am
(6) James Bucki says:

Richard,

There is 0.7734 troy ounces of pure silver in the coin. With silver spot at $29.01 per troy ounce, each coin has $22.43 worth of silver in it (not $7.00), Regardless, there is still a pretty heft profit being made.

Jim

March 9, 2013 at 9:41 am
(7) David Renberg says:

I think that the Mint would sell a lot more coins if the general population actually found them attractive. Think about the Walking Liberty and the Peace dollar. They are favorites of collectors — partly because they are beautiful coins.

March 14, 2013 at 5:17 pm
(8) db says:

Well what do you guys expect when you have a 1st lady like we have? Take it easy, I’m sure she will give back to us, the little people, what we have given to her many times over right? Love shows through actions, now give me that burrito it’s bad for you anyways!

March 17, 2013 at 12:59 am
(9) wind direction says:

Currently it appears like BlogEngine is the best blogging platform out there right now.
(from what I’ve read) Is that what you’re using on your blog?