1. Home
James Bucki

2013-S America the Beautiful Quarters Circulation Strikes

By February 8, 2013

2013 S America the Beautiful Quarters Circulation Strikes Once again this year, The United States Mint will be producing circulation quality America the Beautiful Quarters at the San Francisco mint with the "S" mintmark. These will be in addition to the proof clad and silver quarters that will also bear the "S" mintmark. While the proof coins will be included in their respected proof sets, the circulation quality coins will not be included in the uncirculated mint sets. Neither will these coins be distributed to banks nor other financial institutions in order to be used in general circulation. The only way to obtain these coins is to purchase them directly from the mint in rolls or 100 coin bags.

Originally, the Mint produced these "S" mintmark coins and 2012 to celebrate the 75th anniversary of the San Francisco mint facility. This caused a problem for collectors who already purchased coin folders and albums that were preprinted with the date and mint marks for the next few years. I don't know what the "excuse" is this year for producing circulation quality coins at the San Francisco mint. I can only speculate that is to make more money off of coin collectors who are dedicated to modern United States coinage. Will you continue to buy these "specially minted" coins? Voice your opinion by voting in the poll below.

Quick Links:

Image Courtesy of: The United States Mint, www.usmint.gov

Comments

February 14, 2013 at 2:21 am
(1) Jerry Diekmann says:

As usual, much of what the Mint does makes no sense. I can see the 75th anniversary of the SF mint for striking “S’ mint quarters (I guess) but I see no reason for continuing to do so this year. Since this is the 75th anniversary of the West Point mint, I think a better idea would have been to strike quarters with the “W” mint mark in 2013 only, and then go back to just the “P” and “D” mintmarks only for the remainder of this way-too-long series. The Mint is really killing the goose which laid the golden egg with all these gold and silver and mint mark varieties. Enough! And enough of the sports and military themes on commemorative coins!

February 14, 2013 at 3:46 am
(2) Western_Sage says:

It is wrong for the US Mint to strike “circulation” quality base metal coins such as these San Francisco Mint America the Beautiful Quarters and not include them in the annual uncirculated mint sets… absolutely, categorically wrong.

February 14, 2013 at 7:11 pm
(3) TJB17 says:

It’s absolutely ridiculous that the mint is continuing this series. I was hoping they would be the one year white elephants of the quarters, but alas they aren’t. With that being said, I’ll be buying them anyway to keep my set complete. However, this year I’ll just wait until the last one is released and buy them as a group on ebay instead of buying each one at a time and paying exorbitant premiums.

February 15, 2013 at 2:52 pm
(4) HJW says:

Anything struck as circulation should circulate! As long as they are making them, why not circulate?

February 16, 2013 at 2:49 pm
(5) rpw says:

Agree with the other posts.
The mint is killing the golden goose.
I started collecting a few years ago and lately I’m getting quite frustrated with the way the mint conducts business. It makes no sense to me (and apparently other average collectors) but apparently it makes sense to the Mint – we’ll just never know their reasoning for doing what they do!
I’m still angry over how the Hawaii 5 oz ATB coin suddenly SOLD OUT
when other ATB’s that came out BEFORE the Hawaii ATB are still for sale and have already sold a higher number than that of the Hawaii ATB 5 oz coin.

I was trying to time my purchases based on my budget and coin sales when SUDDENLY -the Hawaii ATB was sold out –AFTER SALES OF ONLY Around 14000 coins.

I REFUSE TO BUY ANY MORE OVERPRICED COINS FROM THE MINT. They have lost my business. There is an old saying – if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck — well, you know!

@TJB17
You said – “you’ll keep buying them anyway”.

That’s part of the problem. That is exactly what the mint hopes/expects.
If people put their foot down and say enough is enough, the mint will change it’s attitude. Just my opinion but I’m done playing the game.
The Hawaii 5OZ ATB was the last straw for me! There is NO REASON that coin should be sold out right now. It’s a scam. PERIOD!

February 21, 2013 at 11:27 am
(6) David says:

I have been collecting since 1948 and have a very nice collection. I have cut back seriously on what I buy from the mint because of the flood of new coins. I also collected US Stamps from 1948 and completely stopped that collection effort in 2000. The USPS did the same thing and flooded the hobby with hundreds of new stamps each year. These pastimes are no longer hobbies – they are expensive habits. And I am getting out of them.

February 22, 2013 at 1:41 pm
(7) non slip rug pad says:

Hi there! This is my first comment here so I just
wanted to give a quick shout out and say I genuinely enjoy reading your posts.
Can you recommend any other blogs/websites/forums that cover the
same topics? Thanks a lot!

June 2, 2013 at 12:15 pm
(8) Glenn Davis says:

I just found out about the San Francisco minted coins with circulating quality. I like them. They must be struck with proof dies because they do look different from the other mints quarters and are more rounded or have a higher relief. I wish they would issue a circulation quality silver quarter from the mint. Like a p,d, s silver circulating quarter would be SWEET!!

June 2, 2013 at 1:01 pm
(9) Glenn Davis says:

I want to say that I like the s minted quarters. This is the first out of the box thinking. Next they need to offer a circulating silver version from each mint instead of those 5 oz things.

October 11, 2013 at 4:08 pm
(10) Chris Adams says:

I will no longer collect anything not in general circulation. I lost interest in the Presidential Dollars when they stopped releasing them into circulation: at that point they are nothing more than commeratives.

December 17, 2013 at 3:58 pm
(11) jimihdx says:

I can certainly relate to the gentleman’s comment who started collecting coins and stamps in 1948. That in itself is pretty impressive and although I started both in 1959 the hobbies have become out of control. I have the means to keep current on all issues but it is safe to say as an experienced numismatist and philatelist that attempting this feat has become a ridiculous pursuit. The icing on the cake, at least for me, is a rather small issue but fundamental to the charade the U.S. Mint is running and that is the issuing of uncirculated San Francisco minted quarter dollars separate from the traditional Mint Sets that they have ALWAYS and SHOULD HAVE been in. My advice to the younger collectors, if you are buying from the Mint, is to specialize and save your money to purchase precious metal products. Keep them in their OGP and resist the urge have them graded by a 3rd party. Leave the 3rd party grading for your old rare coins because counterfeits and Chinese fakes are rampant.