1. Home
James Bucki

1794 Silver Dollar Is The World's Most Valuable Coin

By January 25, 2013

1794 Flowing Hair Silver Dollar
Coin auction house Stack's Bowers Galleries conducted a record-breaking auction on January 24, 2013 when it sold several pieces from the Cardinal Collection. The highlight of the auction was the sale of the 1794 Flowing Hair silver dollar for a record-setting $10,016,875. According to the press release:

This set a new world-record price for any coin. Attended by hundreds of enthusiasts, collectors, investors and dealers, and resulting in nearly $27 million in rare coins crossing the block, the auction of The Cardinal Collection and other important consignments took place as part of the Stack's Bowers Galleries New York Americana Sale.

Image Courtesy of: Stack's Bowers Galleries, www.stacksbowers.com

Stay Connected to Coins

Subscribe to my FREE About Coins Newsletter to stay informed about news and articles on coin collecting.

Comments

January 30, 2013 at 2:08 pm
(1) Challenge Coins says:

How amazing. Coins are valuable. $10 million is a whopper of a coin.

January 31, 2013 at 2:35 pm
(2) JOSEPH MARTIN says:

Must be nice to be able to plunk down $10million dollars for a coin. I earn $57000.00 per year, to earn $10, 000, 000.00 I have to work only 175+ years. YIKES!!!

April 6, 2013 at 8:46 am
(3) A Justday says:

One will get the chance to view the photos of my 1804 Silver Dollar Coin and the Auctioned price on eBay and in May 2013..

My 1804 Silver Dollar coin was initially surfaced in Thailand and later, crossed the huge span of land to China in 1950s…

Also, my set of a pair of Fen-Tian Silver Dollar Coins w/ A SinVPle Coin of 50 mm size shall rival the previously auctioned Coin by a mile…The low mintage of not just the Fen-Tian Silver Dollar but the historic value of that accompanying SinVPle Coin will make it the most desirable Coin to collect!

Signed, A Justday

April 6, 2013 at 8:47 am
(4) A Justday says:

What happened to my comment???

April 6, 2013 at 8:50 am
(5) A Justday says:

There is no room to inform the viewers on my 1804 Silver Dollar Coin???

April 7, 2013 at 11:26 pm
(6) Chris says:

I think it’ll be quite a while before another coins breaks this record. the Farouk 1933 Double Eagle “only” sold for $7.5 million and I’m amazed this one went for so much.

Thanks for sharing!

April 14, 2013 at 11:01 am
(7) Chris says:

Why do you think it is that 7 of the 10 most expensive coins are from the US? Do you foresee any international coins breaking this record?

Thanks for sharing!

October 6, 2013 at 7:21 am
(8) Becky Boden says:

does thw 1794 silver dollar have any writing/marks on the rim/edge of it?

October 8, 2013 at 2:49 pm
(9) Jim Bucki says:

Becky,

It has a lettered edge that reads: HUNDRED CENTS ONE DOLLAR OR UNIT

January 13, 2014 at 3:56 pm
(10) Jerry says:

Very nice post. I definitely appreciate this site.
Keep writing!

January 14, 2014 at 8:23 am
(11) .UpU4DWSDSqQ says:

Hello, I would like to subscribe for this weblog to take most up-to-date updates,
thus where can i do it please help.

January 14, 2014 at 12:03 pm
(12) Jim Bucki says:

You can subscribe to my Newsletter at <a href=”http://coins.about.com/gi/pages/mmail.htm”>http://coins.about.com/gi/pages/mmail.htm</a&#062;

March 16, 2014 at 9:46 pm
(13) Linda Gardner says:

Who offered this coin for sale and where did they get it? Was it in the family? Just curious how people come upon a rare coin like this.