1. Home
James Bucki

1992 Lincoln Penny Sells for Over $20,000

By August 2, 2012

Last month a very special Lincoln Penny minted in 1992 sold for over $20,000 at a Heritage Auction Galleries sale. As common as 1992 pennies are, this was no ordinary penny to say the least. This specimen was the rare "Close AM" variety in uncirculated condition and was graded as MS-64 by Professional Coin Grading Service. Due to a mix-up at the mint back in 1992, a different die was used for the reverse of the coin before it was supposed to be used starting in 1993. A limited quantity of these coins escaped into circulation. Be sure to check your pocket change and see if you have this or any other Lincoln cent key dates, rarities and varieties in your possession.

Quick Links:

Image courtesy of: Heritage Auction Galleries

Stay Connected to Coins

Subscribe to my FREE About Coins Newsletter to stay informed about big news and new articles on coin collecting.

Comments

August 5, 2012 at 12:33 am
(1) brenda says:

Hi i got some pennies fron 1942 1943 1944 1945 1958 1959 and a dime of 1943 were can i go and see if they are worth something

August 5, 2012 at 12:36 am
(2) brenda says:

Hi i need some help i got some pennies i want to see if they are worth something

August 5, 2012 at 11:55 am
(3) James Bucki says:

You can find out about Lincoln penny values at:

Lincoln Wheat Penny Values
Lincoln Memorial Penny Values

August 9, 2012 at 7:24 am
(4) K.D. says:

Good morning,

Pennies from the years 1909-1958 are called “wheat” pennies. Your pennies are “common” dates and are worth (about) a nickel each. Your dime was made prior to 1965 and, therefore, made of 90 percent silver and is worth (about) 22 times the ‘face value’ or (about) $2.20.

August 9, 2012 at 12:42 pm
(5) Eric Erlendson says:

Can Tell me what this am be worth – 2011 P Roosevelt 10C ER ms69 FB

August 10, 2012 at 5:38 pm
(6) coiny says:

Try

alot of interesting stuff there about copper coins.

coiny

August 13, 2012 at 5:01 pm
(7) Coin Database says:

It amazes me that any coin could command such a high premium because two of the letters are closer together than on most of the other cents.

Does anyone know how many of these made it out of the mint in any condition?

August 13, 2012 at 10:23 pm
(8) coiny says:

(Coin database) Where you might get an idea, look on Heritage page from this page. In the description area they sometimes have that information as a guesstamit as what the concenses thinks is out there. I think that’s about as close to what any of us could hope to get.

I doubt the mint has much of an idea since it’s been so long since this happened. It could be in thier archives. That’s any body’s guess. I do remember once the mint estimated an arror they thought got out of the mint a few years back. I think it was a hoax dreamed up by the mint to raise interest in getting alot more sales out of cherry pickers. The error coins never materalized.

Good luck!

coiny

November 11, 2012 at 8:59 pm
(9) jasper says:

i have an rosevelt dime with lincoln face on it. both dime and penny marking on it. need help to see who i can talk to about it.

November 14, 2012 at 8:14 pm
(10) James Bucki says:

jasper,

I would love to give you my opinion on any coin, but I really need to see it. If you have a decent digital camera or a scanner, you can send me a picture of both sides of the coin and I will be happy to look at them.

Thanks for your inquiry and I look forward to seeing your pictures.

Sincerely,
Jim
coins.guide@about.com

February 3, 2013 at 10:35 pm
(11) vanessa says:

Hi …. I found the 1992 penny now what do I do ?????!

February 4, 2013 at 10:03 am
(12) Jame Bucki says:

vanessa,

Thanks for your inquiry and I look forward to seeing your pictures.

Sincerely,
Jim

February 26, 2013 at 9:06 am
(13) jerry says:

Hi i have a 1992 close Am penny it has a couple of marks on face side other than that coin is in good shape because of those i had a coin shop to tell that it could not be graded is this so

February 28, 2013 at 5:15 pm
(14) Julie says:

Hey there, my late father was an avid Numismatist, Robert J. Bass, and in his remnant collections I’m finding a few “interesting” things. The purpose for this email to you specifically is about a 1992 Penny with a teeny punch mark right where the mint mark would be. Is this anything of interest or value? It’s not in great shape, by a long shot!

April 19, 2013 at 9:27 am
(15) Jeff Paradis says:

I have a strange coin, it is a 1985 penny. It has no copper zinc, it is dark gray and dull in color. it is about the diameter of a nickle and weighs slightly less than a normal penny. any ideas how it was made or what it is worth.

May 14, 2013 at 8:15 pm
(16) Waldo says:

Hi i been having a close AM penny 1992 D. the year is severly scratch. FG is very separated from the stairway.

July 30, 2013 at 5:15 pm
(17) Anna says:

Hi, I have one penny 1992 mintmark D -in GOD we trust. May I know the value please?

August 16, 2013 at 8:13 am
(18) MIKE says:

THIS PENNY IVE HAD FOR YEARS IT ATTRACTS TO A MAGNET ITS ONLY SHOWS COPPER IN MIDDLE OF BACK OF COIN. IS IT WORTH ANYTHING?ITS IN BEAUTIFUL CONDITION

September 13, 2013 at 1:20 pm
(19) Cody S. says:

I have a 1992 D in god we trust decent condition, how do I figure out the value..?

September 18, 2013 at 10:50 pm
(20) roselita says:

I have a penny that in God we trust there is two o in God. And also have a 2005 silver penny u know anything about it also came across 1969s penny don’t know who to trust or any coin collecter to get in touch with could u help.

November 20, 2013 at 11:16 pm
(21) Vera says:

I have a collection of wheat pennies dating from 1909 thru 1973 w/proofs. I do not have all the later proofs. I do have all the key dates, the 1931S, 1914D, 1909S vdb, and I also have a type II 1922 no D (this one has been cleaned, but fills the need.)

I was wondering how much a collection like this would be worth.

Any info will be appreciated.

December 4, 2013 at 1:43 am
(22) Russell says:

My turn at this. I found this page hunting for info about my 92 US 1cent penny. No. Doubling that I can see, no interesting cud, planchert IS wavy in places ….. What is most interesting about about my copper penny is that it is layered with something else. Someone on the. Mint floor was fooling around when they made my coin. It is thicker on one side than the other the Lincoln face is covered by either nickel or silver.. Maybe zinc. It is grey but not reflective like new dimes or quarters. More like an nickel . The back side of the memorial is half covered by the foreign alloy. An inspection of this side reveals it is indeed sandwiched with a copper center.

If you would like a picture let me know

January 1, 2014 at 2:39 pm
(23) Jessica says:

I have a 1993 silver penny. Is it worth anything?

January 2, 2014 at 11:33 am
(24) Jim Bucki says:

Jessica,

I was probably modified after it left the US Mint. It is worth a penny.

James

February 3, 2014 at 8:33 am
(25) sheri says:

Hello,
Thank you for your time…I found a strange penny…it is a 1985 D and the edging looks to be either zinc or aluminum…it is not copper…is this rare? Again thank you for your time.

February 4, 2014 at 7:24 am
(26) Jim Bucki says:

Sheri,

All pennies made in 1985 are solid zinc with a thin layer of copper plating. Therefore, what you have is a normal 1985 Lincoln cent.

Sincerely,
James

February 20, 2014 at 3:14 pm
(27) TOM EDWARDSEN says:

I HAVE WHAT LOOKS LIKE A 1993 SILVER PENNY COULD IT BE AND IS IT WORTH ANYTHING?

February 21, 2014 at 3:46 am
(28) LTANYA GREEN says:

I have a 1992 penny with no mint mark but teeny holes where the mark should have been close AM what value if any help

March 16, 2014 at 1:42 am
(29) JUANITA says:

I want to know if any quarters were misprinted with the year?. I have a quarter with the year 198.

April 11, 2014 at 3:09 am
(30) brandon says:

Hello i was wondering if you knew anything about a 1965 penny its as silver as.a dime and sticks to a magnent just curious about it