1. Home

Those Wonderful Small Dollars!

By September 30, 2009

Sacagawea Dollar (Obverse)Every once in a while, I come across a coin related site that is just so well-done and fascinating that I am eager to share it with everyone I talk to. SmallDollars.com is one of those sites! Its entire focus is on the smaller U.S. One Dollar coins of the past 30 years, specifically the Susan B. Anthony Dollar, the Sacagawea Dollar, and the ever popularPresidential Dollars. Coverage on the site includes such fascinating topics as:

This is just the tip of the iceberg! If small-module U.S. dollar coins interest you, you could spend hours at this fascinating site, and I bet it it'll be a great one to watch for the inside scoop on the Presidential Dollars, too!

United States Mint Image

Comments

July 30, 2008 at 10:37 am
(1) Mint News Blog says:

the links to individual pages don’t seem to be working for me.

September 30, 2009 at 8:13 am
(2) Alfredo De La Fe says:

Thanks for sharing! Some very interesting articles and pretty decent photographs to accompany the text. (Which is quite often NOT the case)

October 1, 2009 at 12:12 pm
(3) Ray Wymer says:

Can I get help id this 1 Penny Coin It is a 1938 GEORGIVAS VI D:G:BR:OMN:R:EX F:DINO:IMP. Thanks.

October 14, 2009 at 5:21 am
(4) coin database says:

Ray,

I believe you have a penny from the United Kingdom. I have a picture of the front and back of that coin here: http://www.coinbrag.com/e107/pricing.php?id=13940

Susan,

What I found most interesting was this sentence:
” In the mean time, the Anthony Dollar supply was decreasing so quickly that the mint struck 1999 dated Anthony Dollars to fill the need for a dollar coin until the Sacagawea Dollar could be struck and placed into circulation. ”
I had no idea there was an actual “demand” for dollar coins in the U.S. In fact, I wasn’t aware they were really pushed by any organization. I’ve usually had to ask for them at banks.

October 15, 2009 at 11:04 am
(5) coiny says:

Coin database: Don’t quote me on this, i believe those were used alot in the gameing industry. Like slot machines. That could have accounted for the demand.

coiny

October 20, 2009 at 10:43 am
(6) Massey says:

I have gold nickel 2005 is there something to this coin

October 20, 2009 at 3:26 pm
(7) Fred says:

SBA dollar coins were in steady demand from self serve car washes, USPS vending machines, self serve pay parking lots, some amusement operators (pool tables and video games) and some vending machine operators. Virtually no slot machines have ever accepted or dispensed the small dollar coins.

November 15, 2009 at 12:29 am
(8) ProfessorPedal says:

Interesting seeing the packaging on the VIP strike… do they do this for all coins like this? I’d love to see a VIP setup for some of the Westward Journey nickels if they did them.

December 21, 2009 at 10:03 pm
(9) Mike says:

My Dad had a Sacagawea coin with no date stamped on it. Do you know of this coin and if so could you tell me more about it? Thank you.

January 1, 2010 at 10:43 pm
(10) Dori says:

I just received an email about 1963 90% silver quarters, uncirculated, being offered by Austin Rare Coins. Is there a more cost-effective source for these?

January 11, 2010 at 8:21 am
(11) tom says:

experimental rinse have to thank you after going thru many rolls over the yrs i had one put aside that just wasnt the right color and after reading that article and seeing the coins now realize thats what i found lol ordered 2 boxes of the 2001 will see hope that they were just kept in a vault somewhere lol

January 13, 2010 at 9:05 pm
(12) Superior Discount Coins says:

The small coin look great. In spite of its size, the design is well made. Big coins may be dominating in the collection scene, but small coins do have their own uniqueness that only they can offer.

September 13, 2010 at 11:19 pm
(13) Angela Mccloud says:

I have a Sacagawea Dollar ( New Change Coin ) Date-Year is Missing. Is this Dollar a Keeper? Thank You. Uncirculated Coin.