1. Home

Major 2006 Doubled Die Penny Featured in Die Variety News #7

By May 21, 2007

Doubled Die Penny shows strong doubling in first half of LIBERTY, less doubling here.  Click to see more images in PDFVariety coin guru Billy Crawford has published the 7th issue of his outstanding (and free) Die Variety News magazine. The lead article is about a remarkable find that should excite all of those who love to hunt for valuable coins in their pocket change. Collector Robert Tingle has discovered a major 2006 doubled die Lincoln Memorial Cent!

This isn't just another one of those types where the teeny little seated statue of Lincoln shows one or two extra knees. This is a full-blown, visible to the naked eye (if you have sharp vision) doubling spread on the word LIBERTY. Doubling is also evident, although somewhat less so, in the date and IN GOD WE TRUST, as well as Lincoln's hair and the coin designer's initials on the base of Lincoln's bust. The current issue of Die Variety News has abundant close-up photogrpahy of this exciting type, as well as coverage of other Lincoln Cent doubled dies that have recently been discovered.

One of the reasons I love Die Variety News so much is that every issue includes generous information about variety coins that have just recently been discovered. In most cases, this means the coins are still in circulation, waiting to be found by anybody who makes the effort to look. Have you ever found a rare variety in circulation? Tell us about it in the Comments below!

Photo courtesy of Billy Crawford and Die Variety News.

More Information About Variety Coins:

Be informed when new varieties are discovered in circulation! Sign up now for my free weekly About Coins newsletter!

Comments

June 11, 2008 at 9:34 pm
(1) stephen holbrook says:

I own a 1995 penny double die on the rev. one cent, a 2000 penny double die on the rev. one cent and a 2004 penny double die on the obv. liberty. I have coin pictures of all of these coins. Why arn’t they listed as double dies in coin books?

June 11, 2008 at 9:40 pm
(2) stephen holbrook says:

I own two 2005 pennies with the vd missing from the vdb initial and the b printed as a large b. Have you heard anything about this and if so what?

December 5, 2008 at 5:17 pm
(3) jonathan o says:

if your 2005 penny says v.d.b on it you are a very rich person thats an error coin and not soppose to be on therevdb is victor d. brenner
and only on 1909,1909-s wheat penny not the memeoralput up a pic man

December 27, 2008 at 1:09 pm
(4) JO says:

Actually v.d.b. was returned to the Lincoln cent in 1918 to present on the obverse at the base of the bust. Thanks

June 30, 2009 at 11:01 am
(5) barney says:

i have found 11 errors in a roll of 2009 log splitter lincoln pennies. 8 die cracks from lincolns left foot to rim and 3 with patches of missing hair on side of head. any value?

September 12, 2009 at 3:55 pm
(6) ricky thomas says:

i have a 1995 d-penny that has under united another u and n thats double-dye

November 15, 2009 at 2:44 pm
(7) Bob says:

I have a 1959 penny that is very unique error coin. I have not heard much about the 1959 error coin. The coin I have everything is reversed. On the obverse Lincolns head faces to the left, the Date, Liberty and In God We Trust read left to write instead of right to left. On the reverse side Everything is upside down and the lettering reads left to right as well. Has anyone ever heard of this coin error.

January 9, 2010 at 4:59 pm
(8) A.R.M says:

I have alot of Double-Die Lincoln coins. My list are; 1969,1991,1992,1993,1999,1995,1983,1985,1987 and a 1989. My 1995 look like it’s a 1955 penny when you hold it.

January 13, 2010 at 8:10 pm
(9) Amccloud says:

V.D.B Initials on my coins is on Lincoln suite. Left side at the bottom on suite. V.D.B. Thank you.

January 13, 2010 at 8:21 pm
(10) Amccloud says:

What helps me to find double-die errors on my pennies is Lincoln neck tie and the dates.

January 23, 2010 at 1:26 am
(11) Chandra says:

I have several mint error coins such as the 1935
double die indian head nickle. I have 3 of the l943
Jefferson nickles with PP and several mint marks on
each, dimes, quarters, but I must say my favorite
die errors are in pennies I have a 1897 Indian head
penny which been struck 3 different times, it has a
date of 1797 and 1804,traces of the actual design
is there,does that mean it took a century for that
penny to go into circulation? My other favorits are
1994 Lincoln penny is eye ball is on the bridge of
his nose. where his eye should be in his head is a black hole. Also I have one of Lincolns eye hanging
out his head I dont know have the date on hand.
Thanks

March 15, 2010 at 10:29 pm
(12) Fred says:

I have 1991 quarter double die, the doubling of ‘In god we trust”
I didn’t find any entry of such error any where in the error listing.

April 9, 2010 at 12:02 am
(13) JBTalls says:

I got a $25 dollar box of pennies the other day at the bank and started opening them up. all different dates and varities. There were 43 weat cents, one being a 1952 D. This one has the head and leters on the front doubled. Also the Wheat ears are doubled and also the letters ON in ONE and CEN in Cent…. The thing looks as if it was in a jar since the day it was made.

June 1, 2010 at 2:43 am
(14) John says:

today i found a 1994 penny that seems to be missing the “o” in “United States of America” and now it look like “United States F America” is there any way that i can tell this is a mistake or did the o just like wear off or something. To me it looks like it was never there but i am not an expert.

June 23, 2010 at 1:33 pm
(15) PGB says:

John – That’s a common occurance on the memorial cents. That area tends to collect debris so there are a fair number of strikethru errors with the “of” also it’s an area that is often weakly struck. It’s not worth much.

June 24, 2010 at 12:42 am
(16) RIchard says:

I recently found what looks to be a defective 1979 Lincoln. The nine to the right of the one is in an odd shape. The “9″ is missing curvature and instead is composed of a vertical line followed by a curved line, almost like a “D” without the vertical line complete at the bottom of the “D” to close the “D”. What could cause that type of defect?

July 5, 2010 at 10:03 pm
(17) Sigmund says:

Susan, I’m sorry for you that so many morons are posting in the comments. Oh well, that’s the nature of the internet. Even the crippled kids get a turn at bat even though they have no hands with which to hold the bat.

July 16, 2010 at 12:56 pm
(18) steve says:

susan i would like to know who does the letters under lincolns arm belong too.

July 29, 2010 at 5:31 pm
(19) Robert Ramsey says:

Im glad to see that many people are looking at their coins,collecting coins & looking for errors has always been fun.

August 16, 2010 at 5:21 pm
(20) tammy says:

i have a 2005 penny, it has v.d.b. on the lower left bottom. it is in capital letter’s as well.
can you tell more, please.
thank you for your education, i have enjoyed you for year’s.

August 22, 2010 at 5:37 am
(21) casey says:

I’m sitting here looking at at big collection of my pennies and they range from 1926 to 2010. Almost everyone of them say VDB at the lower left of the coin on Lincoln. Any one got any answers?

November 22, 2010 at 10:49 pm
(22) joe says:

I think they are double dies but they are mechanical errors that don’t count

December 28, 2010 at 2:02 pm
(23) Randle says:

Your 2005 penny should have the V.D.B. on the obverse

January 23, 2011 at 6:49 pm
(24) Jerry says:

Just found a DD 1992d penny going thru my pocket change.Has distinck doubling of Date,mintmark(D),liberty and In God We Trust on Obv.Glosed AM on Rev.Also,I have written to many coin collectors about a Silver dollar im trying to identify.On Obv it has REPUBLICA DE GUATEMALE UN PESO.On REV it has UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and ONE DOL., at bottom with UNITED and ONE DOL.being Doubled.REV has the design of an Eagle holding an olive branch and arrows in talons,just like the design on early silver dollars dated 1840 thru 1873.Any help would be appreciated as i havnt got much from coin collectors.I even wrote Miss Headley abt this coin.

January 28, 2011 at 6:24 pm
(25) kymira says:

I have a few newer dates that are not listed in anything I can find as errors but there are most definatley errors on the coin does anyone know where I might be able to get info on these? 1978-D,1980,85-D,89-D,96-D,92,94-D,95-D,00-D,02-D,06-D
These ones I am most sure are errors not just circulation, the 78 is higher grade and very clear errors I am shocked that It’s not listed.
Please help if you know anything about these dates thank you

February 17, 2011 at 9:13 pm
(26) JJT says:

hello, i was just wondering if the 1994 penny no mint mark, but the We trust part goes off and haft way in to the rim of the penny. is this worth anything???

February 17, 2011 at 9:13 pm