1. Home

Buffalo Nickel Values

By September 7, 2006

Buffalo Nickel values are rising; this PCGS MS-66 1923 Buffalo Nickel (of which only the reverse is shown) sold for $1,200 in Sept. 2006. U.S. Coins with bison on them are very popular right now! We have the new Buffalo $50 gold bullion coin, and several State Quarters feature bison, including the new North Dakota State Quarter. The most interesting bison coins of all are the original Buffalo Nickels that were minted from 1913 to 1938.

These beautiful Buffalo Nickels are also known as "Indian Head Nickels" because of the striking portrait of the Native American warrior that appears on the obverse. I have always found it rather ironic that the U.S. government was honoring this noble people on the coinage during the very years that they swindled them out of their land and imprisoned them on reservations, but since this isn't an American History site, let's all find out how much our Buffalo Nickels are worth in my Buffalo Nickel Values table!

More Information About Coin Values:

Sign up now for my free weekly About Coins newsletter!

Photo of the 1923 Buffalo Nickel (reverse only) courtesy of Harlan J. Berk, Ltd.

Comments

April 7, 2009 at 4:57 pm
(1) Tracey says:

I have a 1936 Indian Head nickle. I was wondering if they are common that the Bisson is upside down when you flip the coin over to the side with the Indian on it.

April 23, 2009 at 7:15 pm
(2) bob says:

that like the one i have then

October 7, 2009 at 4:10 pm
(3) Ruth S. says:

Mine is the same way.

December 5, 2009 at 2:27 pm
(4) Troy says:

i have 12 of these things and 1 is from 1919

January 6, 2010 at 11:15 pm
(5) caitlyn says:

ok i have one of these but the date u cant see is it completely worthless??

February 13, 2010 at 1:10 pm
(6) tyler says:

i have one from 1820

February 14, 2010 at 11:25 am
(7) alex says:

I have a 1936 something nickle and I have no clue as to how much the thing is?!!? Is it common to have a raised nickle, because mine is.

February 15, 2010 at 8:00 pm
(8) EMILY SORIA says:

I have a 1937 Buffalo Nickel have the 3 leggged buffalo details I check them from my book but the coin have no date it wear out.can you tell if is worth anything, Just move back to Puerto Rico 2 yrs. ago and I Don’t know any one that can help.I value your time and efford and want to say THANK YOU. Mrs. Soria

February 22, 2010 at 8:35 pm
(9) bill says:

i have a 1936 nickel with a mint mark of F. is that common??

February 28, 2010 at 7:00 pm
(10) Crystal Snyder says:

Ok now an 1820 buffalo nickle is hard to come by and should be held very very tightly. The three legged buffalo nickle,sometimes those type of deformalties are worth alot but never printed in books,look for a 1937 nickle,depending on the D,P or S it will show the value,you may probably find that deformed in good condition can bring you a about double the original value.
A nickle or any coin for that matter that has an F on it means it is stright from the fedral mint and you should probably frame it because F is not common anymore but used to appear on some small change back at that time before the D’s,P’s and S’s came into play,D’s,P’s and S’s are more a stamping of a specific exchange(Money maker) F is the Fedral Reserves which means that coin was minted to be a part of a collector set of some kind.
On a nickle(or coin) No date seen does not mean it is worthless just means maybe that coin is slightly worn and needs polishing to see a date,Have a jewler or coin collector look at it under a scope,they may be able to find the year for you,if not then it was processed during a time when dateing was not important. I have two nickles I love,the buffalo is in almost uncirculated condition,but under the year of the coin is a small blemish,I have had it looked at and someone told me it was possible it was a fraudulant coin,meaning it was counterfiet,anyone know if there is a way to find out if it is indeed counterfeit and what possible year?? I am stumped there.

February 28, 2010 at 7:09 pm
(11) Crystal says:

Almost forgot,the upside down is common on all coins,take a look at all the coins,look a 2005 Jefferson Nickle with the Bisson on the back,it too is the same way..Hehehe Look at all your coins,They all are upside down.

March 18, 2010 at 10:32 pm
(12) YESENIA says:

MY NICKLE IS THE YEAR 1936 I ALSO HAVE A INDIAN HEAD PENNY DATE 1902

March 20, 2010 at 9:39 pm
(13) yesenia says:

i also have a 1936 buffalo nickle in perfect conditions and i also have a 1902 indian head penny also in perfect conditions i want to know who is willing to buy them they are very valuable they are not in bad conditions also there are some coindealers outthere that ant to buy these coins

March 31, 2010 at 11:42 pm
(14) rae says:

An F under the date on an Indian Head nickel stands for
Foster –James Foster was the artist.

April 19, 2010 at 9:01 am
(15) sasha says:

I have a 1936 buffalo nickel I want to know what e stands for

May 17, 2010 at 4:28 pm
(16) shaun says:

E Pluribus Unum is Latin for “out of many, one.” Sometimes it is translated more loosely as “one from many.” E Pluribus Unum refers to the fact that the United States was formed as a cohesive single nation as the result of the thirteen smaller colonies joining together.

June 9, 2010 at 8:36 pm
(17) Carlos says:

So I have a 1935 one and I’m not sure but I think it has a mint of F and i read there’s only D and S so I’m not sure

June 9, 2010 at 8:39 pm
(18) Carlos says:

I have a 1935 wit mint mark of F is tht worth anything?

June 25, 2010 at 8:22 pm
(19) Mike says:

The ‘F’ on the Buffalo Nickel stands for James Frazer, the designer — it is NOT a mintmark. The only visible mintmark found are the D and S which is typically found below FIVE CENTS. D = Denver Mint, S = San Francisco Mint, no mintmark were made in Philadelphia (books generally use the ‘P’ to let you know Philadelphia was the mint). To date, the ‘F’ has never been a US Mint.

If you turn any US Coin from top to bottom, it should show correctly. This is called “Coin Alignment”. Canadian Coins turn like pages in a book to appear normal. This is called “Medal Alignment”. The easiest way to make sure you are not turning the coin is to place it in a 2×2 so that the head side (obverse) appears even,staple it and then turn it over. If it appears tilted, you may have a “Rotated Reverse”.

June 26, 2010 at 4:21 am
(20) Irene Cruz says:

I have a indian nickel with no date is there a value in this coin?

July 15, 2010 at 1:19 am
(21) Mike says:

Dateless nickels usually have little or no value. The exception are those on a “mound” rather than on a “plane” (looks like a straight line underneath the feet of the buffalo). Plane type, perhaps 5 to 10 cents. Mound type a little bit more. The only value is for a “filler” only for 1913 ‘mound’ type. Your best bet is to save it for your grandchildren.

July 15, 2010 at 10:46 am
(22) steven williams says:

I have a 1937 p nickel Indianhead. What is the value? And how can I tell if its the 3 legged coin? I can’t find any pics of a 3 legged coin. thank you soo much for your time..

August 10, 2010 at 10:55 pm
(23) crystal says:

i have a buffalo nickel thats dated 1936, i was just woundering the value some people have offered me 5 dollars up to 20 dollars to buy it off me but i dont want to sell it yet. i also have a 2 cent coin from 1864 and i dont know its value i did research but came up more confussed then when i started. the last coin that i have is a 1918 liberty dime i have no clue what the worth is on this coin, i would very much appreciate it some one could point me in the right direction, thank you.

October 27, 2010 at 8:19 pm
(24) mario says:

i have a 1936 indian head nickel with an f under the year your chart says its worth 35 cents youre joking right,how can that be they are very rare,i wouldnt sell it for 20 dollars much less 35 cents!!!!!

November 13, 2010 at 9:37 pm
(25) Steve says:

I have an Indian Head Nickel with the letter “A” on the Buffalo. Has anyone ever seen anything like that before?

December 20, 2010 at 8:55 pm
(26) Harlow says:

I have a 1936 indian head nickle with no mint mark and it looks great. any one know anything about this.

January 5, 2011 at 11:08 am
(27) STEWART says:

All the bufallo nickels are like that .

February 6, 2011 at 4:16 am
(28) joe says:

i have a 1935 buffalo nickel with no s or d mark the buffalo is on a straight line kinda looks like a mound..what is the value???